Localita' Civettaio, Paganico 58045 Civitella Paganico (Grosseto)
Il Civettaio, located halfway between Siena and Grosseto, is a typical Maremma farmhouse from the end of the 18th century immersed in a naturalistic setting composed of olive trees and vineyards, both organically cultivated.
In addition to the accommodations, elegantly restored respecting the tradition, inside the farmhouse there is both the barn/stable that now houses the restaurantof the farm, and the cellar, where cooking classes & tastings of our organic wines and oils are available by reservation.
Breathing the air of the past but with all the modern comforts and respecting the environment has been the philosophy that has guided the renovation of the Civettaio in general, but especially that of the apartments.
The apartments, which are all located in the old farmhouse and are named after animals that can be seen at the Civettaio, have been carefully and elegantly restored maintaining many of the ancient details, such as the terracotta floors, stone fireplaces, ceilings with exposed beams. The furnishings are a clever mix of traditional country furniture and old family pieces, to preserve the charm of the past and the land of Maremma. In respect of the environment we also made use of solar energy for the supply of hot water.
The lodgings present in the structure are the following
- Istrice apartment: composed of a large living room with fully equipped kitchen area and two double bedrooms, one with a double bed and one with two single beds, both with en-suite bathroom. Sofa bed and armchair bed are located in the living room. The ancient stone fireplace, working with wood, embellishes the apartment. Located on the second floor with internal staircase leading to the common room of the farmhouse, it enjoys from the windows an enchanting view of the green valley and the surrounding hills.
- Apartment Cinghiale: composed of large living room with fully equipped kitchen area and two double bedrooms, one double and the other with two single beds, and a bathroom. Sofa bed located in the living room. The old stone fireplace, working with wood, embellishes the apartment. Located on the second floor, it is very bright and from the windows you can enjoy an enchanting view of the hills, valleys and villages.
- Apartment Civetta: composed of living room with fully equipped kitchen area and two double bedrooms, each with en-suite bathroom. Located on the second floor, with direct access to the common room of the farmhouse, from its windows you can enjoy the enchanting view of the green, the valley and the surrounding hills.
- Apartment Lepre: composed of double bedroom with bathroom, living room with sofa bed for one person and small fully equipped kitchen. Located on the second floor, with direct access to the common room of the farmhouse, from the windows you can enjoy an enchanting view of the green, the valley and the surrounding hills.
- Apartment Fagiano: composed of living room with fully equipped kitchen area and three double bedrooms, two of them with double bed and one with two single beds, each with en-suite bathroom. Located on the ground floor, with direct access to the garden, it has its own outdoor space, equipped with tables and chairs.
- Volpe Apartment: composed of living room with kitchen area and armchair bed, two double bedrooms (one double and one with two beds) and a bathroom. Situated on the ground floor with direct access to the garden, it enjoys a dedicated outdoor area equipped with table and chairs. Renovated to allow disabled people to stay.
All apartments have bathrooms and kitchen completely renovated. The kitchen is modernly equipped with fridge, stove, oven and dishwasher. Internet access with Wi-Fi wireless is available in the apartments and throughout the farmhouse. Volpe apartment is accessible for disabled people.
The restaurant of the property offers an authentic Maremma cuisine, prepared with organic products at zero km and with particular attention to raw materials. You can eat inside the old renovated barn or outside, in the shade of the pine trees, enjoying the magnificent view of the surrounding hills. In the old - 1700 - wood-burning oven are organized evenings with pizza, where you can prepare and cook your own pizza.
In addition, every Sunday at 19 guests are invited to 'aperitif under the pines with tasting of our wines and oils.
At a glance you are surrounded by olive trees, vineyards, woods: the Tuscan Maremma.
IN THE FARMHOUSE:
Among the many activities and spaces available to the guest, we mention:
: organic garden at the complete disposal of the guest, with seasonal fruits and vegetables. - Visit in the countryside
: To learn more about the activities of the farm, you can participate in guided tours by the owner Gregorio among the vineyards and olive groves. - Wine cellar visit & Wine and olive oil tasting
: The owners will also be happy to take you on a tour of the cellar, showing you the process of making both wines and extra virgin olive oil. - Maremma Dinners & Pizza
: During the summer we organize traditional Maremma dinners and a pizza night, where you can prepare and bake your own pizza in the old wood-burning oven. - Cooking classes
: Upon request, Luciana will teach you how to make fresh pasta, tortelli maremmani, lasagna, bruschetta and typical sauces of the area based on wild boar and maremmana. - Barbecue
: At your disposal there are two barbecues. You can find charcoal at the supermarket, or, if you prefer, you can use the wood of the farm. To be cleaned after use. - Swimming
pool: There is a 15x7x1,40 swimming pool at guests' disposal, fully equipped with sun loungers, deckchairs, hammocks and a shaded area.
- Trekking routes
: Around the Civettaio there are several routes to do on foot, running or cycling. You can stay inside the fence between vineyards and olive groves, or go into the woods. Ask us for information or have a look at the Owlery Map. - Turkish
bath: At guests' disposal, upon reservation, the Turkish bath inside a wooden barrel vat used for the fermentation of sangiovese wine. Aromatherapy with essences found at the Civettaio - including rosemary, lavender and juniper. Maximum capacity is 4 people. - Boules
court: Boules court where you can play while enjoying an aperitif in the shade of the fig trees. - Tourist information: In the fireplace room on the second floor there are illustrated guides and tourist maps.
At the Civettaio, special attention has been paid to the preservation of the rich vegetation and fauna. Vines, olive trees, cypresses, maritime pines, oleander, broom, lavender and rosemary as well as countless types of flowers make each season interesting with their scents and colors. Hares, roe deer, turtles, pheasants, wild boars and of course owls, are some of the animals that live in the property.
The farmhouse is in a strategic position for those who want to enjoy the Maremma countryside and at the same time not deprive themselves of the opportunity to easily visit what this beautiful land offers, such as:
- Siena (at 35km) and Grosseto (at 25km), near the village of Paganico.
- The sea with the beaches of Castiglione della Pescaia, Marina di Grosseto and Principina, about half an hour by car.
- The Uccellina Park, the Etruscan site of Roselle only 15 km away, the Petriolo Spa 10 km and Montalcino about half an hour away. Located on the Strada del Vino Montecucco, producer of Montecucco itself, the farmhouse is also a starting point for excursions to wineries in the area.
-2 golf courses: La Bagnaia(20 minutes away by car) andPelagone(40 minutes away by car).
Inform the agriturismo of any animals at the time of booking.
Owners will be held responsible for damage to property and persons.
Pleased to meet you, I am gregorio and I am 56 years old.
I have been managing Civettaio since 1998
On this farm I am responsible for the following activities: i take care of the crops.
I chose this job because to pursue a passion
Our guests especially like the chance to stay in a natural setting.
The telephone number is: